Friday, September 25, 2009

Gaining a heart of wisdom

At the beginning of every year, I set goals; physical, professional and personal goals. Not too many that I cannot really commit to them but far enough "out there" that I really need to work on them. The top of my "goal list" for 2009 was to spend some intentional time in "The Word" so that I could really get to know God....not just about Him but who He really is. I actually wrote down the prayer of my heart on January 1, 2009, Psalm 90:12, "Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom". My goal this year was to become more a woman of wisdom, prayer, and to experience joy in all circumstances. In fact, I made another notation in my bible regarding this passage on June 9, "We must have a right view of eternity to know the real value of time".

Several months later, when I was visiting Jordan, I picked up a book on her living room coffee table, "Holy Habits". I began reading it and thought that I would enjoy doing the study in the book. So I asked Jordan if I could borrow it. The study has been wonderful...in fact, Mimi states in her first chapter that her lifetime goals are to know God and to become a woman of worship, prayer, wisdom, peace and contentment. Coincidence???? I think not!



To make a long story short, I actually contacted Mimi Wilson (the author) as she is living in Denver and asked if she could speak at a Women's Retreat for our church in September. She agreed and that retreat was last weekend. I purchased another "Holy Habits" book at the retreat to give to Jordan. As I was looking at the back cover yesterday, I was brought to tears.....at the top of the book she wrote Psalm 90:12 as her inspiration for writing her book, "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." I have been reading Holy Habits for months and I never read the back cover.

I LOVE how God works...when we are truly seeking Him and at just the right time, He brings people and circumstances into our lives so that we can KNOW Him!

2 comments:

  1. I love how God works in our lives in so many amazing ways to encourage us, teach us and draw us to Himself. I know that He is pleased by your goal to know Him better and be wise in all you do. I wish that we could study together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mom, I love this. I love that you desire to know Him and that He is faithful to grant that request. thanks for buying the book!

    ReplyDelete